M.Sc Geography ; M.Tech.; P.M- GeoVIS-ITC; Ph.D.
Areas of Interest/Specialization
Spatial data analysis and geographic information science; earth observation systems, with applications in Regional Development; application of GIS to urban environment/socio-economic/ physical and demographic aspects; landscape evaluation; Geovisualisation; Hyperspectral remote sensing, Spatial planning and decentralization; land-use land cover change and impacts; climate change; Urban and natural resource planning; earth observation for hazard management; Human-environment interaction and resource conflicts; spatial decision support system; to bridge the gap between social sciences and remote sensing research and to strengthen social science and planning applications.
Assistant Professor in Higher Education Directorate, Government of Rajasthan, 1998-2002.
Scientist in Photogarmmtry and Remote Sensing Division, Indian Institute of Remote Sensing-NRSC-ISRO, 2002-2006.
Adjunct faculty to Center for Space Science and Technology Education in Asia and the Pacific (Affiliated to the UN), Dehradun, India, 2002-2006.
Awards & Honours
Best paper award for the paper titled ‘Visual Perception and Cartographic Design’ presented in International Cartographic congress of Indian National Cartographic Association (INCA), 2005
French National Agency for Research funded project on ‘SUBURBIN Urbanisation in India’. It is a joint project with IFP and CSH.
POSCO funded research for photogrammetric applications at Sanghol archeological site with CSH/SSS.
Institute of Defense Strategic Analysis funded work for establishing geospatial facility and for incorporating mythologies in their research framework.
Best Peer Reviewed Publications (upto 5)
1. “Decision tree classification of land use land cover for Delhi, India using IRS-P6 AWiFS data” (Co-authored by Joshi, P.K., Porwal, M.C.), Expert Systems with Applications, Elsevier, Vol. 38 (5) :5577-5583, 2011.
2. “Identifying Biomass Burned Patches of Agriculture Residue using satellite remote sensing data” (Co-authored by Nautiyal,V.P., Kant,Y.), Current Science, Vol. 94 (9):1185-1190, 2008.
3. “Integrated Land use Land cover (LULC) mapping for assessing net sown area in Indian Western Himalayan Ecoregion (WHER) using IRS P6 AWiFS data” (Co-authored by Porwal, M.C., and Joshi, P.K.), Asian Journal of Geoinformatics, Vol. 8 (2): 11-19, 2008.
4. “A critical evaluation of Cartosat-1”, International Journal of Geoinformatics” (Co-authored by Seth, P., Pandey, H., and Dadhwal, V.K.), Vol. 4(1): 51-56, 2008.
5. “3D Landscape Modelling Using Java 3D/VRML” (Co-authored by Pandey, D.), Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing, Springer, Vol. 34(4):397-403, 2006.
Recent Peer Reviewed Journals/Books (upto 3)
1. “Spatial and seasonal distribution of nitrate-N in groundwater beneath the rice–wheat cropping system of India: a geospatial analysis” (Co-authored by Chandna, P., Khurana, M.L., Ladha, J.K., and Mehla, R.S.), Environment Monitoring and Assessment, Springer, DOI: 10.1007/s10661-010-1712-0, 2011.
2. “Mining land cover information using multilayer perceptron and decision tree from MODIS data” (Co-authored by Kumar, U , Kerle, N., and Ramachandra, T.V.), Journal of the Indian Society Remote Sensing, SpringerVol. 38 (4):593-603, 2010.
3. “Cartographic Visualisation and landscape modeling”, The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences. Beijing, Vol. XXXVII. Part B4, pages 585-590, 2008.